Monday, January 18, 2010

Prayers for Haiti

Jared and I watched a couple of hours of CNN's coverage of the earthquake in Haiti the other night after the kids were in bed. I don't remember what our original purpose was in turning the TV on, probably to find a basketball game. But we flipped to CNN and were just silenced by the pictures and video of the utter devastation. There just are no words to describe what has happened to those people. I remember trying to pray and not being able to say more than, "Lord have mercy" over and over again. I didn't want to not be affected by what we were seeing and hearing. I also had this overwhelming desire to do something to help. So, I continued to pray for the lost (physically & spiritually) there in Haiti and also for opportunities to help. I saw in the paper over the next two days, two places here locally providing aid. Flipflops and whatnots in Cahaba Heights is collecting shoes and the Wesley Foundation at UAB is collecting items for Health Kits (uabwesley.org) Anyone know of any more?

2 comments:

Kelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelley said...

Blogger Kelley said...

Our church, Trinty UMC, described 3 options for us yesterday-- give to UMCOR (the UMC relieft team who has lost 2 members in the Haiti devastation), the health kits, and a mission trip in March..I've got details on our Mama & Me blog, www.mamametumc.blogspot.com

I'd always be glad to take some health kits to our drop off if you and the kids want to do some-- I plan to do a few w/ Hudson b/c I feel like he can really participate and understand that we are doing it to help someone.

(I deleted my other comment b/c I left out a few words I thought I had typed!)