Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Here we go again...

So, we found out today that little man Noah is to have yet another surgery. Next Thursday, he'll have his adenoids removed as well as another set of tubes put in his ears. I understand that both of those procedures are routine and that Noah will be fine. As an aside, whenever a doctor or nurse uses the term, routine, I always think in my mind, "routine for who exactly?" I know I certainly don't deal with surgery every day. Am I the only person who wonders this? Sometimes I wonder if its the irrational mommy in me. Anyway, back to Noah. Dr. Goodson, an ENT at Brookwood, wanted to do a round of meds with Noah first before going the surgery route. Jared and I agreed until I talked with the pharmacist at Wal-Greens and found that these meds would cost over $200. Our outpatient surgery co-pay is only $150. Jared and I found ourselves in a bit of a quandry at that point. Dr. Goodson didn't seem to have a ton of confidence that the meds would work. Plus, Noah has been dealing with his hearing issues for several months already. We definitely didn't want there to be any permanent damage. And too, Dr. Goodson had said that the surgery would produce immediate results. We're opting to go on ahead with the surgery. I know I'll always second-guess myself but it is what it is at this point.
Poor guy! Noah is such a trooper though. God certainly blessed him with an incredibly contented heart. He has been through so much in his short little life already, but you would never know it to meet him. He is always just as happy and playful and loves life so much. I could learn a great deal from him.

No comments: